01 January 2009

Miami 2009*

So last night, or rather early this morning, I was walking home from a neighbor's house and there were a few house parties still going on.

From somewhere in the dark, came an old melody that made us feel alright-an old Billy Joel song I hadn’t heard in years

It was the song about the lights going out on Broadway. Only, I knew that’s not the name of the song. We knew it had a name that had nothing to do with the lyrics but couldn’t think of it.

I remembered to look it up tonight (What did we ever do before Google?).The name of the song is Miami 2017. That’s only a few miles and 8 years away.

And so here’s the last stanza Miami 2017-with an asterisk like Happy New Year* because it reminds me of Cuba and because I changed one of the words,

Miami 2017*

...You know those lights were bright on El Malecon
That was so many years ago
Before we all lived here in Florida
Before the Mafia took over Mexico
There are not many who rememberT
hey say a handful still survive
To tell the world about
The way the lights went out
And keep the memory alive...

Billy Singing in concert with great pictures of The City:

No comments: