08 November 2006

Perpective

Another Cuban was telling me today he couldn’t believe the election results and that he was thinking of moving to Australia. I told him he sounded like a whinny Liberal after the 2004 Presidential election when W won his second term.

We agreed it’s just an election, one of hundreds. We have the power to change the direction of our government as we just found out. A bunch of people we don’t agree with just proved it to us.

I said to him that I just wish that my captive brothers and sisters in Cuba could feel what I feel today. I wish they could feel the bitter disappointment of going out to vote and to loose. Of having your ideas go down in flames. But most importantly, to feel the hope that comes with knowing that citizens can force the government to listen to them every two years.

Then, he smacked me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.