04 July 2008

The 4th.

My favorite holiday, really.

When I tell people that, I get a look. Well, I get lots of looks when I talk, but I really get a LOOK when I say that-followed by the inevitable why?

And I tell them, that if it weren’t for the 4th of July, we might not have any of the other great Holidays.

I’m not trying to be a super American or more patriotic than though.

You see, the circumstances of my childhood left me with some perspectives that really compel me to love and appreciate freedom.

When I was growing up in Cuba, one year, Fidel decided to outlaw Christmas. Just like that. Because he felt like it.

We instead got to celebrate July 26th. Because he felt like it.

On the 4th, we celebrate that all men are created equal and are endowed with their creator with certain unalienable rights and that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

And that is worth celebrating. Take it from somebody who once wasn’t allowed to pursue any of these-even when the pursuit was as simple and innocuous as dangling a few treasured glass Christmas ornaments on an old metal and plastic Christmas tree.

Today, I will pursue happiness and celebrate these Red White and Blue ideals. One song, one plunge in the pool, one corn on the cob, one veggie burger, one beer and one fire cracker at a time – always keeping in mind another place, about 250 miles due South where another Red White and Blue flag waves and where happiness can only be pursued illegally.

And it will begin with this…



Happy 4th!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite holiday, too. I get emotional and sappy and it's ALL GOOD.
Happy 4th.

Besos,
M