29 February 2008

He's NOT In Charge

So this Cuban, (me), is sitting at the bar having a cold Killian's Irish Red draft and a song comes over the muzak pipes.

It’s “I’m not in love” by 10CC’s-interesting story of how the band got its name, by the way.

Just then, an e-mail comes in on the phone. That unmistakable and irresistible alert. At first he tries to be cool. He’s off duty. Castro can wait a few hours. He takes a sip, but the suspense is killing him. He takes another sip. He’s powerless to resist the urge to read the email, and defeated, he looks at the phone. Between the dim light and the over the hill eyesight, he can hardly see the tiny print. He stretches his arm. And just as he runs out of arm…he can read… “Castro says Raul’s in Charge” pfft. Maybe if they say enough times..you know…the ol’if you tell a big lie enough times thing …

“I’m not in love, I’m not in love”…the guy is singing….

Yes, just like in the song….

And so the Cuban does what he usually does, he changes the lyrics around to fit the circumstances….


I'm not in charge, so don't forget it
It's just a transition we’re going through
And just because I said I quit
Don't get me wrong, don't think you've got it made
I'm not in charge, no-no
(It's because...)

I like to see you, but then again
That doesn't mean you mean that much to me
So if I relect, don't make a fuss
Don't tell your friends about the two of us
I'm not in charge, no-no
(It's because...)

(Be quiet, big boys don't cry)
(Big boys don't cry)
(Big boys don't cry)
(Big boys don't cry)
(Big boys don't cry)
(Big boys don't cry)
(Big boys don't cry)

They keep my picture upon the wall
It hides a nasty stain that's lyin' there
So don't you ask me to take it down
I know you know it doesn't mean that much to me
I'm not in charge, no-no
(It's because...)

Ooh, you'll wait a long time for me
Ooh, you'll wait a long time

Ooh, you'll wait a long time for me…to die

I'm not in charge
I'm not in charge

No comments: