10 January 2007

We Are Not Worthy

I sit and write these words from the comfort of a leather chair in an air conditioned room or a lawn chair by the pool, sipping beer, wine , soda, coffee or whatever I please, without a care in the world other than my a slow wireless broadband signal.

There are no repercussions or consequences about "ranting" about the events in an island 350 miles away save for a few caustic comments. No risks, only the rewards of patting myself on the back for doing something for the "cause".

Meet Carlos Otero:






He writes too. Only when he writes , there are consequences:



Read about Otero in this Miami New Times Article

Via BABALU


I'd like to think I'd do the same as Otero and stand up to the tyranny, but would I? Would I actually risk rotting in one of Castro's jails to defend my principles? Would I give up a life of comfort on my knees to stand up and risk it all?

I'm not sure I would be brave enough.

Next time you're down because of some adversity in your life, think of Carlos Otero. I know I will.

No comments: