03 February 2007

While My Eyes Gently Weep


Sometimes, Songs can take on a new meaning when you listen to them with a different frame of mind.

I’ve been listening to the Beatles “Love” over and over since Christmas.

It’s a new updated Beatles.

Anyway, Charlie Bravo at Kill Castro is a true Beatles expert, and he suggested a closer listen to the version of “While my guitar gently weeps” by George Harrison, RIP, in “Love”

With a Beck’s in hand and my beloved island on my mind, I dug up the headphones and listened:


I look at you all see the love there that's sleeping
While my guitar gently weeps
I look at the floor and I see it needs sweeping
Still my guitar gently weeps
I don't know why nobody told you
how to unfold your love
I don't know how someone controlled you
They bought and sold you.


I look at the world and I notice it's turning
While my guitar gently weeps
With every mistake we must surely be learning
Still my guitar gently weeps
I don't know how you were diverted
You were perverted too
I don't know how you were inverted
No one alerted you.


I look at you all see the love there that's sleeping
While my guitar gently weeps
Look at you all...Still my guitar gently weeps.


I felt as that was written for Cuba, while my eyes gently weeped.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Gusano.
There's much about George that never ever will cease to surprise me. I am listening to a lot of his material, sometimes online (you can create a George Harrison ONLY radio station at pandora.com) and I am pleasantly surprised with his work, everyday a bit more. The Quiet one had a very deep insight, and he was a great human being, if we judge him by his lyrics. I did feel While My Guitar Gently Weeps very close to my heart and mind in this version, which is how George intended to do it. He brought Clapton to do play the solo (which he wrote for Eric)when John "demanded" a guitar solo in the song. It almost became a bad thing for him, since John suggested that they should fire George and take Eric -jokingly, but the words were said, and those words hurt George very much.
But going back to the song, I find it very appropriate for what we are going through. Thanks!

Gusano said...

no, thank you.I never knew John said that.ouch.then to make matters worse , didn't he wind up losing his wife to clapton, Leyla?
this song is definitely going into my Cuba mix now.